You are injured in a car accident. Who is going to pay for it?

There are various types of damages you can claim after a car crash. These costs may be paid by your insurance company or the other driver’s insurance company. Compensation may be awarded for medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses.

If a family member died as a result of the accident, or if the relationship was strained or damaged as a consequence of the crash, loss of affection or loss of consortium may also apply. Understanding how to get paid after a car accident is important to safeguard your financial future.

What kind of insurance coverage do I have?

Several types of car insurance relate to personal injury, including:

  • Bodily injury liability coverage: This will apply when the other driver was at fault.
  • Personal injury protection: This type of insurance will pay for medical costs no matter who was to blame. Costs may include lost wages and funeral expenses.
  • Medical payments coverage: Similar to personal injury protection, except this coverage will only pay for medical bills.
  • Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage: This type of insurance will pay for bodily injury expenses in the event of a hit and run or if the driver at fault does not have insurance.
What can affect possible compensation for my personal injury?

It is important to seek medical attention as quickly as possible. A minor accident can still lead to serious injuries, but only a medical professional can make a diagnosis. It is also important to document the accident scene. If you are able, take pictures of all vehicles involved and any physical evidence of the crash. Ask for phone numbers of potential witnesses. Never accept fault. You don’t know all the facts right after an accident occurs, so don’t admit any blame.

What damages could I expect for my case?

Understanding the types of damages can help you understand how to get paid after a car accident. There are several types of damages: those with a direct, tangible financial cost, and those with indirect or emotional costs.

Compensatory damages, which include specific damages and general damages, are most common. Punitive damages are less common and are meant to punish the defendant if the person caused the accident in an extremely reckless manner.

Specific damages have an actual, valued amount. These damages may include medical bills, lost wages from work, and property loss. General damages cannot be readily calculated. These may include emotional distress, pain and suffering, and loss of consortium.

I have questions about my case, what do I do?

If you have questions about how to get paid after a car accident, you should seek out an experienced attorney who will protect your rights. A reputable law firm will listen to your case without expecting large fees up front. A car crash can have a tremendous, lasting impact on your life, but a lawyer can help you get your life back on track.