Driving Under The Influence Accidents
Someone gets injured in a drunk driving accident every two minutes. If you or a loved one is hurt in a California DUI accident, there are a few things that you need to know.
In California, the legal blood alcohol level depends on the age of the driver and the type of vehicle being driven. The requirements are as follows:
- 0.01% BAC or higher for drivers under 21
- 0.08% BAC or higher for drivers over 21
- 0.04% BAC or higher for drivers of a commercial vehicle
California is extremely intolerant of underage drinking, and any level of alcohol in a driver under 21 will result in a DUI.
If you or a loved one is injured in a California DUI accident, you might be wondering what to do next. Victims of drunk driving accidents are able to file claims in civil court in addition to pressing criminal charges. If you plan to do so, start your civil claim immediately after the accident rather than waiting until after your criminal case is wrapping up.
During your case, your California DUI attorney will investigate the accident along with any and all contributing factors. They will also look into the driver and determine if there were any parties or bars that they were at before the accident.
A number of different parties can be held responsible for a DUI accident. They are as follows:
- Driver: Of course the driver will be held responsible for his or her actions, as it was their choice to drive their vehicle after consuming alcohol.
- Host: If the driver was attending a private party, the host of the event can be found responsible if they were still providing drinks to the driver, even after the driver was inebriated.
- Bar/Restaurant Staff or Owner: A bartender is required to stop providing alcoholic beverages to patrons when they appear to be intoxicated. If this was not followed, the bar or restaurant that the driver was at can be found responsible for the accident.
Because there are a number of contributing factors to any accident, it’s a smart idea to hire an attorney shortly after being involved in any accident, especially a drunk driving accident.
California DUI Injury Lawyers
At The May Firm, we’re happy to help you or your friend or family member who has suffered from a drunk driving accident. We will fight to get your damages and medical expenses covered so that you can quickly get back to living your life.