Average California Neck Injury Settlement
Imagine you are on your way to work or to the grocery store. Suddenly you are rear-ended car accident by a careless driver, and now you are injured. Unfortunately, these types of accidents happen all the time. The damage to a vehicle may seem minor, but the damage to your neck could be long-lasting and severe. A California personal injury lawyer can ensure that your rights are protected after you have been injured.
What kinds of neck injuries can occur?
Neck injuries after an accident can vary from minor to severe. A medical diagnosis is necessary to determine how damaged your neck may be. Some common types of injuries include:
- Neck sprain. Ligaments in your neck hold bones together, and when they are stretched, a neck sprain can occur. This condition may cause stiffness and pain.
- Neck strain. When muscles in the neck are torn or stretched, a strain may occur. This condition is commonly called pulled muscles. Sprains and strains in the neck are also known as whiplash.
- Pinched nerves. If bone or ruptured discs pinch nerves, they may no longer work correctly. This condition results in pain or/and weakness in the damaged area.
- Herniated discs. When sudden neck motion puts pressure on a disc, the disc may herniate. This is also known as ruptured or slipped discs. Pain, weakness and numbness may occur.
What should you do after a neck injury?
You may not feel a neck injury immediately after an accident. Even a minor accident can cause internal damage, however. Accidents that occur at just five mph can cause neck injuries, and there may be no visible damage to a car.
It is important to seek medical attention promptly. Common symptoms to look out for include pain in the neck, headaches, spasms, or numbness and weakness. Once you have a diagnosis, consider speaking with a California personal injury lawyer. An attorney can advise you about your rights and ensure that proper compensation is received.
What is the average settlement in California for a neck injury?
Putting a dollar amount on your losses after an accident can be difficult, but an experienced California personal injury lawyer can guide you through the process of litigation. You have to consider medical bills, auto repair bills, lost income from not working, physical therapy and other injury treatment, and pain and suffering.
There is no precise calculation to figure the value of a personal injury case, but almost half of California plaintiffs in personal injury cases receive an award. Some sample settlements include:
- $700,000: Client rear-ended, resulting in neck injury
- $1,000,000: Client rear-ended, suffered neck and low back injuries
- $150,000: Car accident resulting in neck injury
Since there is no exact formula, every case is different. An experienced attorney who will listen and treat you like family can help ensure the best outcome for your unfortunate incident.